Cherry Pie Oat Squares
A great way to take cherry pie to a picnic without the plates.
This vegan dessert uses nature’s natural flavours and sweetness to highlight the Canadian cherry taste with a mingling of maple.
- 2 cups of pitted cherries, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- 1 tbsp of tapioca
- 1/4 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp of ground ginger
- 2 cups of rolled or quick oats
- 1/2 cup of apple butter
- 2 tbsps of maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp of ground cinnamon and/or ginger (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Process, chop or mash cherries into small pieces.
- Place all of the filling ingredients into a small saucepan and heat on medium-high heat until boiling. Reduce heat to simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Prepare crust separately while simmering the cherry filling.
- Combine crust ingredients in a bowl. Mix with spoon at first, then crumble with hands.
- Spoon 2/3 of the crust mixture into a 8 x 8 ” glass baking dish. Press firmly into pan making sure to cover the bottom completely.
- Pour warm filling mixture into pan on top of crust.
- Sprinkle the rest of the crust mixture on top of the filling. Crumble between your fingers to eliminate larger chunks. Use as much or little of the leftover crust mix as you prefer for a topping.
- Place baking pan into the oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven when crumble pieces on top start to become golden.
- Cool to room temperature before slicing into squares. Slice into a 3 x 3 grid to make 9 pieces, or a 3 x 4 grid to make 12 smaller pieces.
Servings Per Recipe: 9-12 squares
Tip: Sweet or tart (sour) cherries may be used in this recipe. Cherry filling recipe might need to be adjusted for tart cherries by increasing the maple syrup by 1 tbsp and simmering time by 2-3 minutes.
- Cornstarch or wheat flour can be used in place of tapioca.
- Honey can be used in place of maple syrup. (Non-vegan)
Copyright with all rights reserved to Nutrition Bites Consulting. 2016. We’d love for you to share our recipes but remember to give credit where credit is due – to the author. Please re-post only with permission plus link to the original page/post: http://nutritionbites.ca/cherry-pie-oat-squares Thank you!