Cherry Wine Glaze & BBQ Sauce
Cherries and red wine blend summer and fall harvests together, giving your taste buds a deep, tangy twist to the norm. This versatile sauce can be used in desserts, with cheese, or made into a decadent BBQ sauce.
Basic Cherry Wine Sauce
- 2 cups of pitted cherries, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup of red wine
- 1/2 cup of apple butter
- 1/2 cup of maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1-2 tsp of fresh ginger, peeled and minced or 1/4 tsp of ground ginger(optional)
- Place all Cherry Wine ingredients in a medium sauce pot. On medium-high heat, bring contents to a rolling boil while stirring frequently.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat when desired consistency is reached. It will thicken further upon standing.
- Refrigerate until use.
Makes 2 cups.
Tip: Sweet or tart (sour) cherries may be used in this recipe. Cherry filling recipe might need to be adjusted for tart cherries by increasing the maple syrup by 1 tbsp and simmering time by 2-3 minutes.
Substitutions: Honey can be used in place of maple syrup. (Non-vegan)
Uses for Cherry Wine Sauce:
- Mini tart or dessert square filling
- On top of baked Brie / Soft Cheese
- Alternative for cranberry sauce
- Sauce for ice cream sundaes
- BBQ Sauce (recipe below)
BBQ Sauce Variation
- 1 cup of Cherry Wine Sauce (see above)
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tbsp onions, chopped
- 3 tbsp of aged balsamic vinegar (thicker kind)
- 1/2 tsp of chili powder
- Place all ingredients into a pot.
- Simmer on low heat for 5-10 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat and use immediately or refrigerate for later use.
Makes 1 cup of BBQ Sauce.
Tip: Make ahead of time and use later as sauce flavours become more intense over time.
Uses of Cherry Wine BBQ Sauce
- On top of grilled meats
- As a marinade
- Pulled pork & BBQ rib recipes
Copyright with all rights reserved to Nutrition Bites Consulting. We’d love for you to share our recipes but remember to give credit where credit is due – to the author. Please re-post only with permission plus link to the original page/post: http://nutritionbites.ca/recipes-2/cherry-wine-sauce-bbq-sauce/ Thank you!